Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wallpaper


Yesterday I had a delicious brunch with friends downtown, followed by a fantastic lecture at the Winter Antiques Show. Carolle Thibaut-Pomerantz's lecture, "Wallpaper in Vogue" was focused on her fabulous book, Wallpaper: A History of Style and Trends. I have always had a wild obsession with wallpaper so I was thrilled with the opportunity to learn more about the craft from someone as knowledgeable as Ms. Thibaut-Pomerantz. Splitting her time between New York and Paris, (lucky lady!) Carolle's expertise lies in French Antique wallpapers dating from the late 18th century through the Art Deco period. It was amazing to learn more about the history of wallpaper itself as well as the important manufacturers during these periods. Some of the images of original wood-block papers blew me away (including REAL Zuber papers!) Ms. Pomerantz has discovered and restored some amazing panels, and while she has kept some for her personal collection, she has also sold some to museums, including the Met where I will certainly be visiting to view a few of these amazing decors in person! I left feeling completely inspired......but also wishing that I could fly off to my chateau in France which would of course be covered in some of these beautiful antique french papers....

xo
B


P.S. Did you know that there are only two museums in the world dedicated to wallpaper? One is the Musee du Papier Peint in Rixheim-Alsace, France and the other is the Deutches Tapetenmuseum in Kassel, Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment